Friday, July 5, 2013

Top Ten Countdown: Ode to the Baguette!


5/7/2013

Bonjour mes amis!

Warning:  This Post may be hazardous to your Dietary Schedule!

Living in France has many benefits, but in case you wanted to know...eating fresh Baguettes has become one of our #1 benefits since moving here.

Daily, I have the opportunity to walk to the Boulangerie (Bakery) and feast my eyes on yummy breads and beautiful pastries, and then, bring said products home for me and my family.  If there's one thing we're dreading about leaving France next month, it's that we won't get to have the yummy, crusty Baguettes that have graced our table just about every day since we moved to France.



Today, I'd like to share a Top Ten Countdown
of things about Baguettes
in France
that I'm really going to miss...


#10
Watching all the older Men in town on Sunday mornings
with a Baguette firmly stashed under their arm,
making their way back home!

This is Dr. J's favorite...the Retrodor!

#9
Seeing the Baguettes (in my favorite Boulangerie)
fresh from the Oven,
standing vertical in a Basket in the front window...cooling!

#8
Slicing a fresh Baguette for dinner!


#7
Choosing a slice of fresh Baguette during my meal, based on the amount of Crust on top of that particular piece!

#6
Having a meal with a French Family,
and watching them all place their bread slices
on the table between bites!

(*Incidentally, this used to drive me crazy, since in my world,
I thought all the food should always remain on the plate!)


#5
Having a short Conversation in French with the Owners
of my favorite Boulangerie!

#4
Watching a Mother walk out of the Boulangerie,
and observing her yank off the end of a Baguette,
and hand it to her hungry child!

#3
Walking into the Boulangerie
just after they've finished baking a fresh batch of Baguettes!
Mmmmm!


#2
Being short on Euros at the Boulangerie,
but because the Owner knows us,
she tells us to just pay the next time we come in!

#1
Taking that first bite of Baguette at dinnertime!



There's really only ONE thing about Baguettes
in France
that I'm really NOT going to miss...

Cleaning up the flaky crumbs off the table and floor!


********************************

I know that I titled this Post, "Ode to a Baguette", but then again, we really do like the Croissants here as well!  Just sayin'...



Since School classes finished, our Jewelius has been doing an Internship with Dr. J in the Lab where he works, but all along, we were trying to encourage Jewelius to get an...

Internship at the Boulangerie!

so we could learn their tricks for making the best Baguettes in all of France!  Guess I'm going to have to work on a Recipe when I get back to Texas...but I know they just won't be the same.

Incidentally, one last thing about Baguettes before I go...
The French do not eat their Baguettes with Butter...but us Americans, we still do!  Yum!

Have a "Jewel" of a Day!
Jan

P.S.  My apologies to those of you that hoped I'd share the "Strawberry Crisp" recipe today.  We went to a special presentation with Dr. J in the city of Tours yesterday, and got back too late for me to make it.  I'll be trying it this weekend, and I promise to share...afterall, I know you'll want to see pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment