Monday, July 29, 2013

Am I a Francophile?


7/29/2013

Bonjour mes amis!

The other day, I spoke on the phone with my Dad...

The first thing he said to me was..."So, you are a Francophile now, huh?"

I've heard the term so many times.  Do you know what this means?

Direct from Merriam-Webster...

Definition of FRANCOPHILE

: markedly friendly to France or French culture
— Francophile noun


Uhm!  Yup...gulp!  I guess that's ME!

That's Us...the three of us...Me, Dr. J, and Jewelius!!!

What was my Dad's first Clue?  I mean, I've been a fan of this...



...for many years!  And, they're all over my house in Texas...AND, I suppose another clue is...

We don't want to leave France...

I mean, it's not fair...

*** I've finally gotten comfortable with going up to complete strangers to ask for help!
*** I no longer have a fear of describing whatever I need (in the best way I know how) in a Store
     (You should have seen me asking for Mosquito Repellant...
       you would have been so proud of me!)
*** I can listen to spoken French for a long time, and mostly comprehend now.
     (You probably shouldn't ask how long I can speak in French,
       but if you ask people who have known me the whole year,
       they will tell you that I have much improved!)

This was bound to happen, don't you think?

I mean, on the other hand, some people go to live in another Country, and they can't wait to return to their Home Country.  We're not like that.  We've enjoyed every minute!

Everyone keeps telling us not to lose our French when we go back.  We're going to give it our best shot...perhaps even speak French at the dinner table a night or two per week...we'll see.  I'm sure I'll have to keep you posted.

For those of you who are wondering about my New Year's Resolution (to complete the Rosetta Stone Program for French), Dr. J and I have been failing at that (just being honest here).  We started out so well, too.  But honestly, we're getting our own education here by just speaking and making embarrassing mistakes!  My excuse for not finishing the program this Summer has been that Jewelius was doing an Internship, and he took the Laptop with Rosetta Stone on it, so I couldn't do the Lessons.  Well...yes...the Laptop did come home at night...but ask anyone who knows me...I don't like to work THAT hard after the dinner hour, which, of course, has been rather late in the evening...afterall, we are living in France!  I know...Excuses, Excuses...

OK.  You get the picture!  I've rambled on long enough...

But, if truth be known...

YES, I AM A FRANCOPHILE...
AND I'M PROUD OF IT!!!


Wishing you a "Jewel" of a Day!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment