Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Royal Palace, OR...Sneaky American Tourists 2!!!

16/01/2013

Bonjour mes amis!

January days can be sad, can't they?  All the festivities are done, the family is gone, and the weather is colder.  It's a respite, though, and it is giving me the chance to show you some bright days we've enjoyed.  I'm loving sharing with you.

Today, I'd like to continue showing you pictures from our weekend in Madrid, Spain.  First, let's start with breakfast at...McDonalds on the Gran Via!  Yes, you see that correctly.  McDonalds and McCafe are quite popular in Spain, and we needed to get out quick, so we could get siteseeing, so here's a few pictures from our breakfast...


You might think it silly to post pictures and talk about eating Breakfast, but let me tell you, when you are in a foreign country and must order your breakfast, and sometimes eat food that is quite foreign to you,

Every meal becomes an Adventure!

And something worth writing about.  Thankfully, Ms. Emerald and Jewelius both studied Spanish in School and could help us with some of the translation...although, many words in Spanish are so similar in French, that Dr. J and I weren't doing too badly at figuring out what things meant!


McDonalds and McCafes in Spain do not serve Egg McMuffins or Biscuits for breakfast, (although, they do serve burgers at breakfast time!) so we settled for some yummy Muffins and Juice and Coffee.  I've said this before in France, but now, do they know what they're missing in Spain?  I really could have done with a Sausage Biscuit with Egg and Hashbrowns.  That's my favorite thing at McDonalds for breakfast!


I have to say, I was rather impressed with the Decor in the McCafe!  Quite the Crown Moulding, and Marble Stairs...Wow!

Now, on to the Royal Palace, with a few street views along the way...







It was quite a cold morning, so there was even frost on the bushes and pansies, and a little ice around the fountain!






...and now we arrive at the Royal Palace!


I snapped these three shots inside a beautiful Staircase before I was reprimanded that there were to be no photos inside...ooops!  It's too bad I can't show you more than this, because the Palace rooms were just beautiful.  We even bought a book with pictures of the rooms, since we were so impressed!




Ah!  Now we can take photos again, and have some fun!



After our visit to the Palace, we wandered back toward Plaza Mayor for lunch...




 ...and went to a Restaurant called, "Museo Del Jamon"...(Museum of Ham!?!)...

Where I tried "Tinto" for the first time!  My apologies to my niece, Sarah, but Tinto was not my favorite Red Wine.  I think we've become spoiled in France with all the good wine available there!  (The glass next to the bottle is a beer, not the red wine, okay?)  FYI, Sarah, we did like the Bocadillos, even though we're quite the fans of French Baguettes!


While at the Restaurant, we became Sneaky American Tourists again!  Dr. J and Jewelius were thirsty and had filled bottles with water.  Our waiter wasn't refilling our carafe of water, so Dr. J and Jewelius refilled their glasses from their own water bottles when the waiter wasn't looking...

(***Do you remember our trip to The Louvre when we ate sandwiches while the waiter wasn't looking?  If you want to check out that post, go HERE.  I also have a third episode of "Sneaky American Tourists" to share with you in the near future as well, so stay tuned!)


Well, this is the stuff memories are made of, right?  And, I have more memories to share...

In the meantime, I hope you have a "Jewel" of a day!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment