Thursday, January 17, 2013

Picasso, Police, and a Living Wall!

17/01/2013

Bonjour mes amis!

I really hope you are enjoying visiting Madrid, Spain with me.

Our next adventure in Madrid was to visit the "Reina Sofia" Museum.  Ms. Emerald really wanted to go see Picasso's "Guernica" there, and we just couldn't let her down.  I was only able to snap a few pictures at the Museum, and definitely could not photograph Picasso's work, but I'll share what I have...


The Gardens in the Inner Courtyard...
(This is one thing I love about Europe...all the Inner Courtyards!)





I thought this was an interesting art piece...seems like it was formed from tin can openers...


Along the hallways in the Museum, it was all windows looking out to the Courtyard...very impressive!


We were rather impressed with this huge, interesting Metronome!
 

Now I'd like to show you some more street views in Madrid...
(Oh!  And, by the way, we did spend quite a long time gazing at "Guernica", and discovering everything in that painting...Picasso certainly had an interesting mind!)



Incidentally, this Restaurant, Botin, according to the Guiness Book of Records, is the oldest Restaurant in the World, dating from 1725.






Who can pass up a beautiful bakery without taking a picture?  These are the Christmas Cakes eaten in Spain during Christmas.  A little surprise is baked into them, and on January 7, whoever gets the surprise in the cake is supposed to have good luck in the New Year!  Of course, we bought one to try!


Madrid was being heavily guarded by Police while we were there, because of the special Holiday!  I assume these guys were preparing for the nighttime festivities to come...



Ms. Emerald, our Horticulture Major, researched Madrid before we went, and discovered that, like Paris, there was a Living Wall for us to see, so of course we had to make our way there...






...and just a couple more night time views from the Streets...




Tomorrow is a big day for me...no, it's not my birthday...so I hope you'll come back and celebrate with me.  I have something special planned...cue the Fireworks!

Have a "Jewel" of a day!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment