Thursday, October 11, 2012

Tower Trouble & Eet Smakelijk!





11/10/2012

Bonjour mes amis!

We're back in Leeuwarden, Friesland, The Netherlands today!

First stop...The Oldehove! This tower's construction began in 1529, but it was never completed as intended because the tower began to sink during construction, and thus, the tilt.  The original intention was to attach a Church to the tower, but construction never resumed after the tower failed, so now it is just a status symbol in Leeuwarden.

Jewel Jr. tries to correct the leaning tower!

I'll just share some views from the top, since we were able to climb all the stairs inside the tower!







...and we're on the way back down again...


...thought you might want to see a little bit of Dutch...we're basically being told here not to smoke, and that taking the stairs is at your own risk...


Now, let's wander some more in town...

Canal view!

There's a new Square, and just like in the USA, the children love to play in the Fountains!
 I loved seeing all those blond little heads!

Many bicyclists!




I hope you enjoyed seeing Leeuwarden!

Now, join me for a couple pictures in Beetsterzwaag, where we enjoyed a nice dinner at
Prins Heerlijck
with Family...

Eet smakelijk !
(...which translated means...Enjoy your meal!)


Dr. J just had to take a picture of the English Dessert Menu.  He ordered the Warm Chocolate Pie!  We laughed at the fact that the Pie was being served with a Parfait of Farmer Boys...very bad translation for on a Menu...the Farmer Boys are actually liqueur marinated raisins...for you Dutch folks that are reading, it's Boerenjongens.

I found this recipe online at a website called, www.theoccupiedgarden.com, along with many other Dutch recipes that make my mouth water.  To link to this website, and check out more recipes, click HERE...


Boerenjongens
Country Lads
 

3 cups seedless raisins
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1 whole cinnamon stick
4 cloves
4 cups brandy
sterilized canning jars 

Place raisins, cinnamon stick and cloves into a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until raisins are soft and swollen. Remove cinnamon stick and add the sugar, simmering another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the brandy. Pour the mixture into sterilized glass jars, seal and set in a cool place for at least four weeks. You may strain and serve as a drink fit for any country lad, or keep the raisins and liquor together and pour into small dishes to serve as a dessert.

(My Father-in-Law Jewel makes this, and we have enjoyed it over vanilla ice cream!)


One last Photo...



I asked Dr. J to take a picture of the entry of the Prins Heerlijk Restaurant, since I really liked the transom window and lamps...

It's time for me to close this now, but I'll be back again in Friesland, with a visit to the quaint city of Dokkum!

Until then...I hope you have a "Jewel" of a day!
Jan

1 comment:

  1. Boogy--you're supposed to keep your thumb tucked in and face your palms away from the camera! In case you go back, those are my corrections!

    That ice cream goo sounds weird. I don't know if I will try it. Dutch people do have odd taste. Did I tell you I found a Dutch shop out here and bough Leiden cheese?? :)

    ReplyDelete