Monday, October 15, 2012

Nutella to the Rescue!


15/10/2012

Bonjour mes amis!

Well, after a week of mostly looking out the windows to rain and this...


...we have a beautiful, sunny day today!

I want to tell you all about our fun, but rainy weekend, which included a day away in Paris, but I'm preparing for something later in the week, so I'll tell you about that today instead!

Jewel Jr.'s School has asked moi and Dr. J to be involved in the School by sharing information about American Culture.  Dr. J will talk with the students at a couple events, about Science stuff, because he's smart that way, and I have been asked to share weekly with the students.  I intend to start "hanging out" at the School for an hour a week, later this week, during the Student's Forum time.

How shall I best bribe get them to listen to me?  Well, naturally, I feel I need to bake something for them.

Here we are in the country of beautiful, gourmet desserts, but you know what?  They don't really make cookies here!  Sure, there are small cookies in the store for coffee time, but I'm talking about rich, chewy American-style cookies, straight from the oven!!!  Okay, I can't bring them straight from the oven, but I CAN treat them to some of my fresh-baked cookies, and I stumbled onto a recipe on Pinterest that's just the ticket to ease them in slowly...

Nutella Cookies!

Trust me!  The French kids are crazy about Nutella.  I showed you a post with a rather large display of Nutella in the grocery store.  (If you want to look back and see, click HERE.)  We've also seen Nutella displayed with sidewalk vendors, since they will put Nutella on just about anything here.  (For anyone who might not have heard of Nutella, it's a chocolate/hazelnut spread, kind of the consistency of peanut butter, readily available in the grocery store!)

So...the recipe is easy, only three ingredients...

Nutella Cookies

1 cup of Nutella
1 Egg
1 cup of Flour+*

*(I added extra flour, maybe 1/4 of a cup, since another recipe said to add sugar...which isn't really necessary...and the cookies will come out too thin and runny without additional flour).

Next, roll the dough into one inch balls, place them on your cookie sheet, and press down firmly on them with the bottom of a glass.  Lastly, bake them on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for 7-8 minutes!

How easy is that?

Here's the final product, ready with a glass of U.H.T. fresh milk.  We don't buy our milk in the refrigerated section here in France, and we certainly don't  buy it in gallon jugs.  We get a six-pack of 1 liter bottles that don't even need refrigeration, unless you want it to be...which we do!  The taste is different than what we're used to in the U.S., but we're quite used to it now.




Enjoy!

Please come back tomorrow for my Top Ten Tuesday (a little French Lesson for you!), and then I'll share my Paris photos later in the week.  Here's a sneak peak!




Have a "Jewel" of a day!
Jan




1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try making these cookies! How easy, even I can't mess this up...or can I?

    How did the kids like them? That is so cool that they want to learn about American culture, I'd like to hear what you are teaching them! :)

    ReplyDelete