Saturday, July 23, 2016

Remembering our time in Chartres!



7/23/2016

Bonjour mes amis!

It's been a couple days, and I've been thinking...

I love to relive my moments in France and document it all for memories sake, so I got to thinking that I really don't have to be done with writing about France and other interesting things, if I don't want to.  I never did finish showing you about all of our adventures in France from our one year stay, and though my memory isn't perfectly sharp on the details anymore, I still have hundreds of beautiful pictures!

So I regrouped and looked back on where I left off, and now I can finish reminding myself of all the wonderful things we got to do in France.


Like the day we spent in Chartres, France with my Dad.


While we lived in France, my nephew got engaged and was planning to marry in Chicago.  I begged pleaded with Dr. J to allow me to attend the Wedding.



And he obliged...


The Wedding was stunningly beautiful.  My nephew and his bride married in a little chapel, and then held their reception at a swank country club with open bar, a delicious meal, dancing, lots of picture taking, and tons of beautiful details that I can only fathom accomplishing if/when one of my own daughters gets married.


Prior to my trip to Chicago for the Wedding, my Dad contacted me about returning to France for another visit with us.  But he was coming alone.  Apparently, there was some bargaining going on there, and my Dad won a trip to France out of the deal, while my Mother got a new sewing machine!


We worked out my Dad's ticket to France, so that he would return on the same flight with me, sitting next to me on the plane, after my nephew's Wedding.


This was a great arrangement!


My Dad and I got lots of time together, sightseeing and eating delicious food!


I put on my tour guide cap, and made reservations, and we traveled around quite a bit.  What wonderful memories we made together!


On one particular Saturday, we decided to drive to the Village of Chartres with Dr. J and Jewelius (my son), and you have been observing photos of the Cathedral.  This is Cathedral of Our Lady of Chartres!


It's amazingly huge, and detailed and draws large crowds...


But it's mainly known for...


All of the beautiful Stained-glass windows!


Dr. J was in Stained-glass Heaven!


I'm only showing you a very few of these windows, because we have thousands hundreds of photos of these windows!


Truly!


This Cathedral was amazing!


The Gift Shop offered a whole book, explaining each of the windows!


There were tour guides that spoke a few different languages who gave tours of the windows!


We decided to tour on our own, since we only had the one day in Chartres!



Aren't these amazing?


Dr. J kept the camera smoking for quite a long time!


The rest of the Cathedral is beautiful as well!



I asked Dr. J for a turn with the camera, because I love to capture artistic shots!



See what I mean by amazing detail?





So beautiful!





Next time, I'd like to take you on a little walking tour of the Village.  It's rather beautiful and a river runs through it!


I am so going to enjoy reliving those moments with my Dad!  And, I'll try to keep you entertained along the way!

Have a "jewel" of a day!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment